Who we are
Ballarat Buzz (https://ballaratbuzz.com.au) is operated by Flax Digital, a Ballarat web development business. You can contact us using the contact form on this website, or via the details on the Flax Digital website.
Information that we collect
If you sign up for an account on this website (which is required in order to list events), you will be asked to provide an email address. This email address is not displayed publicly, but is stored in a database along with the IP address you connected from. Your email address is used to contact you in relation to your events. Your IP address is used for spam management. Your email address will not be added to any mailing list unless you explicitly consent to it.
We log activity from registered users, including logins, password resets, and creation, editing and deletion of events. These logs are kept for 30 days and are used for customer support and to diagnose faults on the website.
We provide two opt-in newsletters for users of Ballarat Buzz:
- A general newsletter for locals and visitors who want to know about upcoming events
- A newsletter for event organisers
A cookie is a piece of information that a website sends to your browser, which is stored on your computer then sent back to the site the next time you visit.
- To remember who you are if you login to your account
- To save you seeing popups multiple times
- To facilitate social media sharing
- To provide metrics about visitors and their behaviour
- To track the contents of your shopping cart if you purchase advertising from us
You may disable cookies in your web browser, however some parts of our website may not work with cookies disabled.
E-commerce and payments
Our online store, which is used to sell advertising on the site, collects the following information:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
When you purchase from us, we ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We use this information to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
We use Google Analytics to measure traffic to our site and understand how visitors are using it. This includes demographics such as age, gender, location, and interests based on your Internet activity. This data is used to understand who is visiting the website, to provide better service to visitors, and to provide general information about our audience to this site’s advertisers. You cannot be personally identified via this data.
We use Facebook and Google remarketing pixels to track who visits our site, so we can later show ads on those platforms to attract past visitors back to our site.
You can prevent this by:
- Changing your Facebook ad preferences to opt out of personalised ads based on sites you visit.
- Opting out of Google personalised ads based on sites you visit.
- Using the Do Not Track setting in your browser.
If you contact us via the contact page on this website, via the “report a problem” form, or by any other form on the site, we will record:
- the contents of the form you filled in, including your name, email address and phone number if given
- your IP address
This information is stored indefinitely for customer support purposes. We do not use the contact details given in these forms for marketing without your explicit consent.
Images that you upload to promote events may contain EXIF data, such as the location where a photo was taken or the name of the creator of the image. Visitors to the website can download and extract this data from images on the website.
User-submitted images may be transmitted to image compression servers in the United States and stored there for up to 30 days.
Sharing your information with advertisers
We may share the following information with businesses that advertise on Ballarat Buzz:
- aggregate metrics such as monthly website visitors or size of our mailing list
- aggregate visitor demographics, such as age, gender and location
- aggregate information about popular event categories, interests, etc.
We do not share personal information, including your email address, with our advertisers.
Sharing your information with other parties
In addition to the above, we may share the information we collect with a number of services which provide infrastructure and tools to help run Ballarat Buzz, including:
- Our website and email providers
- The providers of our project management and task tracking systems
- The providers of our customer relationship management system
None of these providers use your information for marketing purposes.
Our site uses SSL so any information you provide to us is encrypted between your browser and our website, meaning that people can’t snoop on the data you send us. We also use SSL wherever possible to send your data to third parties as described above, and to work with your data on any third-party services.